(619) 223-1661

What Is The Passport Renewal Process?

What Is The Passport Renewal Process?

san diego passport servicesThere are actually two ways of renewing your passport in San Diego. Both of these ways will be discussed in this article.

Application by Mail

If the current US passport that you have is undamaged, issued when you were 16 years at age, was issued within the previous 15 years, was issued using your current name, then you can go with this method of passport renewal. Here are the steps on how to renew your passport by mail:

Step 1: Fill Out the Application For US Passport Renewal by Mail– Form DS-82. This form can be filled out by hand or with the use of an online guide.

Step 2: Submit the latest card /passport. Submit the card together with the form that you have filled up. When you do so, confirm that the passport was issued within the last 15 years and at age of 16 or older. Keep in mind that the old passport will be returned to you through mail.

Step 3: If there will be some changes on your name, submit the application with the court order or your marriage certificate. In order to proceed with the name of change process, you will have to submit documents that will support the use of your new name. Again, all these documents will be returned to you via mail.

Step 4: Pay the renewal fee. It is recommended that you take a look at the list of passport fees online. The payment must come in the form of either a money order or a personal check. Type out the applicant’s full name and your birth date on the front part of the check. The check must be payable to the “U.S. Department of State”. Cash will not be accepted.

Step 5: Include a passport photo. Attach the photo to the form by stapling all corners vertically to ensure that all outer edges are attached properly. Do not bend the attached photo.

Step 6: Mail the application. Keep in mind that the mailing addresses for Routine Service requests and Expedite Service Request are different.

Application in Person

There are two methods for applying passport renewal in person– through passport acceptance facility and  passport renewal agency. For people who will be traveling to a foreign country in less than two weeks and for people who would need to apply foreign visa in 4 weeks, applying via a passport agency is the recommended option. On the other hand, application through passport acceptance facility is needed if you are not pressed for time.